Pages

Wednesday 6 September 2017

English - Creative writing

English Assessment - The Risk Of The Day


The soft salty breeze, blowing through my knotted hair. The velvet, soft waves hitting the rocks. The toxic smell of sunscreen and orange fill my nostrils. As the waves overlap each other, I see white foam forming across the sharp jagged rocks closer to the cliff, where I stand is a challenge, and let alone a risk. I was at the edge of cable bay. And the tide was coming.


As the rocks loosened their grip underneath my feet, the closer I get to the water, I quickly jump to the next rock, almost like a game of hopscotch. Looking for a path back to the now far away beach, where the rest of my family were signaling me over for lunch. I had been looking for crabs and kina, on the way looking for these small creatures I had found myself here. I had a choice to jump into the dark cold water, or put myself in more of a risk, by finding my way back that is almost completely under water. The seagulls screeching and squawking above my head, scavenging for food only make it more death defying.


The more I thought about it, the worse the thoughts. One thought was that of a sting ray would come a sting me, as we had just seen one before I had come out here. I have to admit I was pretty scared, and I wasn't even in the water. I was afraid that it might be too deep and that i'll drown, or to shallow and that I'll fall on to deadly sharp rocks that could be underneath me. I couldn't see a thing, it was pitch black, for all I could know it looked like an endless void out of some sci fi movie.


I started to physically shake, like a trembling child. I close my eyes, clear my head, hold my nose and jump. As the Icey cold water hits my body, instantly numbing my body to the bone, I swear it was like swimming in a ice cube. Slowly lowering my feet, keeping a lookout for sharp rocks. Hitting the ocean floor, the soft and soothing sand calms me.


I start to make my way back to shore. So I decided to go look under the water to see if I could see anything. But unfortunately I didn't. Until I got to the rock pools. I decided that i wanted to go to the rocks pools on the way back, it would only take me an extra 2 minutes to get back to shore, but just deep enough to hold fish and crabs.

By the time we had left the bay, I had my lunch, went swimming some more. On the way back to shore from the rock pools I had counted 27 crabs and 13 fish. And even two stingrays. And how can forget those pesky seagulls, squawking above my head. I had really enjoyed my time here today, and am thankful that I did take a risk as it makes life more exciting.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Zoe! I really liked your story, you used heaps of really great descriptive adjectives and sharp details. It has helped me come up with more ideas for my own creative writing and I enjoyed your story. I was a little confused at what was going on, so maybe next time set the scene a tiny bit clearer or explain whats happening as well as having strong adjectives about the physical? I still loved it, great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Loved your story also, and will try and make my work clearer for my next writing piece. Thanks for the feedback :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Zoe loved your story and the way you used a lot of great ideas. This really made me think of some ideas. But maybe next time you could try make your idea a little bit clearer but other then that love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aurora, what sort of ideas did you think about? And I'll make sure i make my ideas more clearer in my writing in the future. Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Hey Zoe. I loved the amount of descriptive words, similes and use of senses you used throughout your story.The ones that stood out to me was 'deadly sharp rocks' and 'The seagulls screeching and squawking above my head, scavenging for food,' it gave me ideas of what to include in my writing, like more descriptive words. Maybe next time describe the scenery/ place/ physical stuff more in the story, but apart from that it was awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Juanita. Im glad that I gave you some ideas for your next writing piece. I will try and focus on myself and what I feel like more in my next piece of creative writing. Thanks for the feedback :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.